Home education is covered under The Education and Training Reform Act 2006.

Home educators are required to register with the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA).

For registration contact:

Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA)
Ph: 03 9637 3386
Email: vrqa@edumail.vic.gov.au
Web: //www.vrqa.vic.gov.au/registration/Pages/homeschooldefault.aspx

The requirements are changing. New regulations take effect 1 Jan 2018.

If you register before end Dec 2017

Complete and lodge the Application form. If there is no court order (e.g. family court) in relation to the child’s education, registration is automatic and you will receive a registration letter in 14 days.

The following documents remain relevant until end December:

If you register after 1 Jan 2018

The Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 commence 1/1/2018 and under those, new registrations must be accompanied by a Learning Plan, approval takes up to 28 days and children are required to stay in school during the approval period.* 10% of home education registrations will be reviewed each year. 

There is no requirement to follow the state curriculum, have plans approved, or submit work, and there are no compulsory home visits. You may home educate in any manner you choose and will receive a renewal letter from the VRQA once a year. If your child has previously attended a school, it is considered a matter of politeness to inform the school that you will be home educating from now on, and that you have registered with the VRQA according to the regulations. School staff might request a copy of your VRQA letter to complete their paperwork.

The NAPLAN is not compulsory for home educated children in Victoria but arrangements can be made to participate through their local government school.

We encourage you to get along to the Regulations Roadshow to ensure you are fully informed on the new requirements. Handouts are available on the VRQA presentation and VHEAC presentation.

In brief, the new requirements are:

Learning Plans:

  • Required with new registrations.
  • Briefly describe how you intend to broadly address the 8 KLAs for the first 12 months of registration.
  • 2 templates available but these are optional – you can write a plan in your own format as long as it covers off the detail on p7 of FAQs.


  • You can apply for an exemption from one or more learning areas
  • No medical evidence required


  • 10% of families will be reviewed per year. The review involves one child’s registration
  • You’ll be notified of the review early in the year (Feb March) and approximately when your review will take place.
  • You’ll be contacted closer to the review with a firmer timeline.
  • A review involves you articulating or demonstrating that your child is receiving an education that broadly addresses the 8 KLAs. You can choose how to do that.
  • The review is NOT against the Vic Curriculum or year levels.
  • In a review you will be asked to demonstrate that your child is receiving an education that substantially addresses the 8KLAs, there is no mandated way to do that – it could be by a phone chat/interview if you wish or by submitting work samples/journal/spreadsheet etc.

*If your children would be at risk by remaining in school, request approval to remove them and do so immediately (with or without approval). If your school gives you trouble about that, advise HEN.  

The following documents are currently under development

  • Victorian legal situation (with excerpts from the Education Regulations 2007)
  • Home Education in Victoria – A guide to services and support (update)
  • Partial Enrolment Guidelines (update)
  • Sample learning plans


See also: 

Home education is covered by the Education Act 1990 and registration is handled by the Board of Studies.

The registration process requires a home visit and approval of documented lesson plans following the state curriculum. The whole process takes three months and registration, if approved, needs to be renewed annually by going through a similar process each time.

There is provision for those who conscientiously object to registration to apply for an exemption from registration but they need to demonstrate that registration would have been granted had they applied for it.

The full Act is available here //www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ea1990104/ and we have extracted the most relevant sections here NSW home education – legal excerpts

 For registration contact: 

Home Schooling Unit
The Board of Studies NSW
Phone: 02 9367 8149
PO Box 5300, Sydney, NSW 2001

This website contains the application form and also an information package about applications.


See also Home Education Association advice on preparing for registration

Under the SA Education Act 1972, children of compulsory school age (at least 6 years old but not yet 17 years old) must be enrolled in, and attending, a government school or a registered non-government school in SA. Parents wishing to home educate must enrol in a school and apply for an exemption from attendance.

The full Act is available here //www.legislation.sa.gov.au/LZ/C/A/EDUCATION%20ACT%201972/CURRENT/1972.154.UN.PDF

and we have extracted the relevant sections for you here – SA home education – legal excerpts

Families must complete an Application for Exemption from Attendance at School for the Purposes of Home Education which details:

• An appropriate learning programme aligned with the South Australian Curriculum Standards Accountability (SACSA) Framework. This covers eight learning areas: English, Maths, Science, Design and Technology, Studies of Society and Environment, The Arts (Music, Art, Dance, Drama), Health and Physical Education, and Language Other than English (LOTE).

• Suitable resources and a description of the appropriate learning environment which will be provided to support the learning programme;

• Opportunities for social interaction;

• The name of the school the child is enrolled in;

• A typical timetable;

• Plans for monitoring and assessment of the child’s achievements;

• The name of the person responsible for the educational programme.
The application must be signed by both biological parents (except where one is excluded from custody/guardianship by a court order). The Home Education Project Officer will arrange a home visit to discuss the application in detail and then make a recommendation to the Director. School attendance is required until the application is approved. If approved, an exemption will be granted for up to 12 months. Annual reviews include discussion of the child/ren’s progress.

To apply, contact:
Ms Sally Robbins
Home Education Project Officer
School and District Operations
Department of Education and Children’s Services
6th Floor, Education Centre
31 Flinders Street
Telephone:  8226 1327
Email:  robbins.sally@saugov.sa.gov.au

Information about the SACSA Framework is available at //www.sacsa.sa.edu.au 

Home education in Tasmania is covered under Division 3 of the Education Act 1994. The full Act is available here //www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/consol_act/ea1994104/and we have extracted the pertinent section for you here Tas home education – legal excerpts
In brief: New registrations are for children aged five as at 1st January until the end of the year they turn  16. An application involves completing a form, providing a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate and an outline of the proposed education programme. If a medical condition is impacting on the child’s ability to learn, the parent/guardian will be asked to provide relevant medical reports to support the planned programme. The initial registration process takes several weeks, after which the parent/guardian is granted provisional registration. Children should remain in school (if attending) until the programme has been approved and the family is granted provisional registration. Once this is granted, a visit is organised within three months to view the programme in place.  If approval is granted by the council following the visit, full registration is recommended to the Minister for the period decided by the council. This is followed by an ongoing process of submitting a summary and plan of the education programme when due for monitoring, followed by a home visit.

For registration, contact:
Tasmanian Home Education Advisory Council (THEAC)
3 Dowling Street
Launceston, Tasmania 7250
Ph: (03) 6334 5381
Fax: (03) 6331 3982
Email: admin@theac.org.au
Web: //www.theac.org.au/

THEAC is made up of Ministerial appointees and home education representatives who are nominated by the home education community. Their website contains information on how to register as well as useful links and information, and they also run information sessions.

Important: a new Education Bill has been drafted which, if passed, will change the legal regime for Tasmanian home educators. Details here 

Home education is covered under the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006. The full Act is available here //www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/consol_act/epa2006305/and we have extracted the relevant sections here Queensland home education – legal april 2014

The registration process in brief

A parent applies for home education registration using the application form, and they are granted provisional registration (60 days) while their application is examined. The application must be accompanied by a detailed report of the educational plan or learning philosophy to be used. If the application is accepted, registration is granted for 12 months and renewals are subject to satisfactory reporting. Parents are supplied with report preparation information annually. Reports include annotated examples of the child’s work and an overview of the learning taken.
To be eligible for registration a child must be:
• of compulsory school age or in the compulsory participation phase;
• not enrolled in a State school or non-State school; and

• usually resident in Queensland.The parent accepts the responsibility for educating their child at home using an educational programme or learning philosophy developed or adapted by them or by a registered teacher, primarily at the child’s usual place of residence.

Student ID cards are available if required. Registered home educators have access to NAPLAN testing should they wish to take part. Also the Home Education Unit is affiliated with the Queensland School Sports Association and can facilitate the participation of home educated students. For year 10 students, Learning Accounts are opened with the Queensland Studies Authority which enables students in the senior years to bank credits towards a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) if they are studying accredited subjects (eg through TAFE). Students in year 12 who wish to sit external examinations can make arrangements with the Queensland Studies Authority. Home educated students (Years 10-12) are also able to undertake a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship.

For registration, contact:
The Home Education Unit
Ph 3405 3916 or 1800 677 176
Web: //education.qld.gov.au/parents/home-education/index.html 
The policy and an application form can be downloaded from the website along with documents designed to assist with planning a programme to meet the requirements.

Home education in Western Australia is covered under Division 6 of the School Education Act 1999

We have extracted the relevant section for you in the downloadable pdf WA Education Act excerpts

Registration is compulsory from the beginning of the year in which a child turns 5 years and 6 months, until the end of the year in which they reach the age of 17 years and 6 months, or the student reaches 18 years, whichever happens first.

Parents apply through their local district office of the Education Department. Each district has its own version of the application form. Under the Act, all you need to provide is your name, your children’s names and birthdates, your address and a contact phone number or email address.

You will receive a request for a meeting with a moderator three months from initial registration. This is for the moderator to introduce themselves. A further visit will be scheduled for later that year when the home educator is required to demonstrate each child’s progress and from which the moderator will prepare an evaluation report. Yearly visits are then standard. Meetings can take place at your home, the moderator’s office or at a neutral venue.

Home educators can determine their own philosophy and style as long as they cover the eight key learning areas (The Arts, English, Health & Physical Education, Technology and Enterprise, Mathematics, Science, Studies of Society and the Environment, and Languages other than English).

The NAPLAN test is optional. Contact your moderator to arrange if desired.

To register contact:
Your local Education District Office – contact details for each district office can be found on the Department website.

See also : 

  • HEN has a sister organisation in WA called the Home Education WA. You will find them invaluable for local knowledge, information and advice including your rights in terms of moderator visits.
  • The Department of Education – home education section http://det.wa.edu.au/homeeducation/detcms/portal/

Registration is required with the Liaison Unit of the ACT Education and Training Directorate in accordance with the Education Act 2004 .

We have extracted the most relevant sections for you in the attached PDF.

Applications are made to the Liaison Unit and automatic provisional registration is granted for six months. A home visit is scheduled with an Authorised Person from the Liaison Unit after five months, with the home educator providing a Home Visit Parent Report at least one week prior. A template for this report is supplied by the Liaison Unit. A certificate of registration is provided for a period of up to two years. Annual reviews include reporting and a home visit – this may be extended to two years if your registration is for two years.

Parents are not obliged to follow the national curriculum but are advised to be familiar with it. Students have access to the NAPLAN if their parents wish, and there is provision for part-time home education.

ACT Education Act excerpts

To register, contact: 
Assistant Manager
Home Education
ACT Education and Training Directorate
Phone: +61 2 6205 9299
Email: HomeEd@act.gov.au

See also: 
Education and Training Directorate
Registration for Home Education in the ACT Manual
The ACT home education support group HENCAST

Parents are required to seek approval from the Department of Education and Training (DET).

Home Education is covered under the Education Act 2015 and we have extracted the relevant section for you in the downloadable PDF

This new Education Act has recently come into effect and the requires home educators to use the Australian Curriculum or an alternative curriculum approved by the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA). Exemptions to this apply to families currently approved.
Guidelines, policy documents and application form are here
Participation in the NAPLAN is not compulsory but can be arranged on request.

For registration, contact

Project Officer
School Education
Department of Education
GPO Box 4821
Email: homeeducation.det@nt.gov.au

Useful links
• Education Department’s Home Schooling page (includes information, guidelines and policies)

Download as a .PDF


There is an allowance under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 for home educators to enrol part-time in a school.

Families who wish to do so need to contact the principal of their neighbourhood school to discuss a workable arrangement, but principals do have the right to decline the application if they have reasonable grounds, such as a cap on numbers in the class you are applying for. It is recommended that any interested families read the full guidelines before approaching the school. You can download a Word document with the partial enrolment guidelines from the VRQA website. It is also possible to enrol in a school other than your neighbourhood one at the discretion of the relevant principal.


Provision also exists under the ACT Education Act 2004 for part-time home education.

To negotiate a part-time home education/part-time school education arrangement in the ACT:

  1. negotiate the arrangement with the principal (or delegate) of the school where the child is enrolled/potentially enrolled
    ii. record the arrangements in an agreement signed by both the parent and the principal
    iii. lodge a copy of the agreement with the Liaison Unit.
    The application for part-time home education registration documents the agreement between the school and the home educator. The agreement shows how the combination of home and school education will provide a high quality education for the child and notes the roles and the responsibilities of both the parent and the school. The original agreement should be held by the part-time school. Copies of the agreement should be held by the home educator and the Liaison Unit.
    For more details see theRegistration for Home Education in the ACT manual

Other States

Part-time home education is not permitted in some states. To enquire in your state, contact the relevant authority listed in this legal section.

How does it work?

The downloadable pdf is a feature from Otherways magazine detailing the experience of several home educating families with part-time school attendance.

part-time home-ed

The most common reason for home education to come up in court cases in Australia is in divorce proceedings. Basically, it is like two separated parents having opposing views on which school a child should attend (see The Age: Kids lose as divorcing parents ‘slog it out’ over public v private schools), and the court having to make a decision.
The pdf is an extract from an Otherways magazine feature on the issue.

Jeannie runs a no-cash consultancy and has survived the family court with her home ed status intact and gone on to educate five of her children to university, with three still learning at home. Her service is worth checking out at Our Mob.

Home ed and marriage separation