Student ID’s and Public Transport Travel Information


For those looking for student and travel cards, there are a number of options. The pros and cons for each and which one will suit your student’s needs will depend on how old they are and what they are most likely to use it for.



For each of these, you’ll need to show a copy of your state home education registration letter.

International Student Identity Card (ISIC)

You will need ID providing your name and date of birth (birth certificate, passport etc), a recent passport photo and your official homeschooling registration letter. Cost is approximately $30 and is valid around the world. You can apply for the card online here. The ISIC gives you access to loads of discounts as well as the ability to prove your age. The ISIC lasts for one year from date of issue so you need to order a new one each year. It is valid as a student card on Countrylink trains. There are all sorts of discounts ISIC holders are eligible for such as discount movie tickets and flights.

** HEN has been given the opportunity to partner with ISIC to provide our HEN member students a photo student ID card.
You can get a Digital Student card for $12.50. To get a plastic card, you will need to pay an extra amount of $14.50.
More information on how to order the HEN branded cards can be found here (the link currently seems to work best on a pc or laptop) This card is valid for 1 year.

Simply include your HEN Family Member Number in the Student/Teacher ID field in the form on the next page. When adding your HEN Member Number please include the child number if you have more than one student on this membership (example: 0234-2, where 0234 is the member number and -2 is the 2nd child in the family under the member number).



A Keypass ID is a valid proof of age and identity card that can be used across all states in Australia. It proves your age but not that you are a student. Those under 18 years old can no longer apply for a Keypass. The cost is $39.95. The Keypass need only be applied for once but is more expensive than an ISIC and doesn’t identify the holder as a student and can’t be used for discounts on goods or services. Keypass includes the holder’s address and emergency contact details. Photo ID is required as part of the application but this can consist of a ‘Statutory Declaration containing a photo of the applicant that has been endorsed by a person who has known the application longer than 12 months but does not reside with or is not related to the applicant.’



Travel passes/cards

Kids aged 5 to 18 can travel on a child myki card (although students over 17 are required to carry proof of age). Home educated students are now eligible for a Victorian Student Pass (which gives you unlimited travel on all train, tram and bus services within your chosen zones until the expiry of the pass – though costs money to purchase, so mayn’t be worth it) and/or a PTV Student ID card which they can carry as proof they are eligible for the child myki fare (so only necessary if they look over 17). To apply:

  • complete the PTV School Student ID application form (PDF or  Word) excluding the School Declaration and Student Passes sections
  • enclose a photocopy of your current Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) home schooling notification letter
  • enclose a cheque made out to Public Transport Victoria for the cost of the VSP and $9 for the PTV ID.
  • Send your application to:

Home School PTV School Student ID applications
PO BOX 4724

A valid VSP and PTV School Student ID will be posted to you.

Victorian Health Care Cards 

If you are 17 and over and have a Victorian Health Care Card, you can use your Health Care Card as proof of your concession entitlement. You do not need to apply for a Victorian Public Transport (VTP) Student Concession Card to travel on concession fares. For more information, see Health Care Cards.

Myki Cards

Holders of Health Care Cards can purchase a concession Myki online at


New South Wales

NSW Senior Secondary Student Concession Cards

Registered Home schooled students 16 years and over are eligible for student concession travel.

You will need to provide a copy of the child’s home school registration certificate. As registration in NSW is only until age 17, the concession certificate expires on the student’s 17th Birthday. You will also need a photocopy of the student’s birth certificate and completion of the Home Schooled Student Transport Concession Application Form (they will email it to you to complete).

To apply, contact the Transport Passes and Concessions Office.

By mail: Locked Bag 5085 Parramatta NSW 2124
Phone: 1300 548 828

In person:
From the Rail Information Centre
Grand Concourse, Central Station
8:30-16:00, Monday to Friday

Email: passes& and ask for an application form



Queensland Student Cards

Registered home educators in Queensland can apply for a Student ID card with photo. Contact the Home Education Unit on .

Queensland Travel Cards

Translink in Queensland recognise the home ed HEU card (issued by the Department on home ed registration) for student travel for students aged 14 years and under. For students aged over 14, we are unaware of any formal department arrangements for student priced travel. If you have any information in this regard, please contact us to share it with other families.

Home educated students with an HEU ID card can travel in South East Queensland using a go card


Western Australia

Students registered for home education are eligible for a SmartRider card. Complete the application and take it to a TransPerth office with evidence your home education registration.


South Australia

Student cards are available through the school you are enrolled at (and excused from attendance at). Information on travel concessions can be found at