The Home Education Network (HEN) has been supporting home educators for forty years. Our surveys provide the best Australian data on home education, allowing us to advocate effectively and represent the community accurately.
Without good data, the government dictates the narrative. You can help protect home education by taking part in our surveys when they are announced.
Past survey results are available here:
HEN and home education in the media
HEN has been featured in news media for many years. Our representatives have been on TV, in newspapers and on radio. If you would like to speak to a HEN media representative, please use the contact form to get in touch.
We have a comprehensive listing of media articles and home education news articles which you can view on our media roundup page.
Videos on home education and general education
- Sir Ken Robinson's famous TED talk in which he argues school undermines creativity.
- Interview with developmental psychologist Dr Alan Thomas by Education Otherwise, speaking about informal education.
- Prof. Peter Gray on how schools thwart passions, and the need to move away from school as we know it.
- Meet the New Homeschoolers, a segment from The Feed featuring three home educating families.
- Neuroscientist and actress Mayim Bialik on why she home educates her children, and addresses viewer comments.
Research on home education in Australia and internationally
Dr. Glenda Jackson of the Australian Home Education Advisory Service is a leading researcher of home education in Australia and in May 2020 published her Summary of Australian and New Zealand Research on Home Education.
Dr. Peter Gray's report on 75 formerly unschooled adults in A Survey of Grown Unschoolers I: Overview of Findings.
Beverley Paine of The Educating Parent has list of research studies which you can find here.