Public Liability Insurance
HEN has a public liability policy to $20 million which can cover events anywhere in Australia
Events are not covered automatically. You must notify us by sending the details to firstname.lastname@example.org – details below.
WA residents: if you are considering joining HEN for insurance purposes, we recommend our sister group, HEWA which can provide WA-specific support as well as access to event insurance.
To have an event covered by HEN insurance:
- Your membership must be current
- You will be running the event as a HEN volunteer. (It is fine to charge a fee to cover costs and for any excess to be contributed to a kitty for further events. You cannot personally profit from the event)
- Venues must be booked in the name of Home Education Network with yourself listed as the HEN volunteer and contact.
- You must list your event on the HEN insurance register by emailling Linda at email@example.com with the following details:
- Name of HEN Volunteer
- Email address
- Venue name/location
- Activity type: (e.g. teen meetups or science workshop)
- Activity Date/frequency (e.g. Weekly)
- Will parents stay? (note that if parents will not stay, facilitators require a WWCC if kids under 15)
- Approx number of adults/children: e.g. 5A/10C
- External teacher/s involved? yes/no.
- Does your event include any unusually risky activities (eg, swimming, beach/pool activities, Rock-climbing, abseiling, flying fox, ropes courses, etc). If so, notify us at least a month beforehand and the details of the event need to be individually approved by our insurer.
- For excursions to public venues (e.g. indoor rock-climbing, trampolining, skating) please ask about the operator’s public liability insurance and obtain a copy of their certificate of currency if possible. Forward it and/or their response to Linda.
Risky events: Basically, anything sporty including swimming can be considered risky. Allow time – the insurer has to provide specific pre-approval for each such event.
In Victoria, if you hire a facilitator, a Working With Children Check is required by law unless parents are present. These are free for volunteers – the application details are here http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/home/
If you derive a profit from an event, it is not a HEN event and will not be covered by HEN insurance.
Volunteer Accident Insurance
HEN Volunteers are also covered by our personal accident policy whenever acting on (or travelling to/from) HEN business. Volunteers need to be listed on the insurance register.
Professional Liability Insurance
External facilitators need their own Professional Liability Insurance.
Available via HEN for all states but WA.