Lobbying and VHEAC
HEN’s strong lobbying keeps the Victorian legal requirements reasonable and was instrumental in the formation of the Victorian Home Education Advisory Committee (VHEAC) through which we’ve worked with the VRQA and DET to:
- Develop registration procedures, sample learning plans and templates.
- Advise how home education works and create a reasonable review format.
- Produce the Guide to the Home Education in Victoria.
- Recruit and train the VRQA home ed team.
- Run a regulations roadshow.
- Run information sessions on registration and reviews.
HEN is currently working with DET to resolve the problems with VET funding access for home educators.
- Advice on registration, learning plans and reviews.
- Otherways – Australia’s own top-quality home education magazine.
- Weekly email news.
- Events and camps.
- Annual conference day.
- Information sessions.
- Insurance for events.
- Work experience.
- Academic competitions.
- Discounts on educational subscriptions
- Pathways advice through Other Ways to University and Careers and individually.
From 2015, HEN surveys have helped ensure HEN acts in the interests of our members; they now provide the most comprehensive data set on home education in Australia. HEN’s Alumni Survey is the largest such work ever undertaken in Australia.
We take part in regular media pieces on home education.
We contracted with DET to provide the 2015 Distance Education Victoria materials to Victorian home educators free.
HEN has been around a long time and will continue to support home education into the future