This information applies to Victoria, for interstate legal information, visit our Legal page
Victorian Home educators are required to register with:
Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA)
Ph: 03 9637 2806
There are two optional templates available:
- Structured learning plan template (by learning areas) Word or PDF
- Integrated learning plan template (by activities) Word or PDF
You can use your own format if you prefer, but every plan must cover:
- When education will take place (very generally, not itemised)
- Where education will take place (very generally, not itemised)
- Subject matter to be covered OR the skills/learning activities planned.
- Resources planned (does not have to be exhaustive)
Sample Learning Plans
Learning plans do not need to be voluminous.
The following sample learning plans have been developed by the Victorian Home Education Advisory Committee and are acceptable to the VRQA. They cover different ages and circumstances.
- Jane, aged six – plan by learning area (Jane docx or Jane PDF)
- Maree, aged seven- plan by activity (Montessori) (Maree docx or Maree PDF)
- Josh, aged eight – plan by learning area (exemption for languages) (Josh docx or Josh PDF)
- Aaron, aged 10 – plan by learning area (natural learning, Dyslexia) (Aaron docx or Aaron PDF)
- Rose, aged 10 – plan by activity (Anxiety) (Rose docx or Rose PDF)
- Geoff, aged 12 – plan by learning area (poor mental health requiring multiple exemptions) (Geoff docx or Geoff PDF)
- Caleb, aged 13 – plan by activity (Asperger’s) (Caleb docx or Caleb PDF)
- Sky, aged 14 – plan by activity (Unschooling) (Sky docx or Sky PDF)
- Jessica, aged 15 – plan by activity (exemption based on electives) (Jessica docx or Jessica PDF)
- Florance, aged 16 – plan by learning area (Florance docx or Florance PDF)
To register, produce your own learning plan using these as a guide.
Use the samples above and tips below to write your learning plan.
Members can email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback on their plans before submitting. Include your membership name.
Pitfalls to avoid
When a learning plan contains insufficient information, approval will be delayed until satisfactory information is supplied. These are the main areas which will trigger a request for more information: