Home Ed, Centrelink and Kids Aged 16+

VHEAC Communique August 2018
August 28, 2018
Student Transfer Form
September 18, 2018
Show all

Home Ed, Centrelink and Kids Aged 16+

If parents are receiving Newstart or Family Tax Benefit, they may lose it when their youngest child turns 16, but not everyone does.


Home educators generally lose their exemption from Mutual Obligation Requirements when their youngest child turns 16 as Centrelink defines a principal carer as caring for a child under 16 years of age. However, the eligibility criteria the exemption states that in the case of secondary aged kids:

In some circumstances, you may continue to get this exemption. For example, if your child is still completing secondary school through home schooling or distance education.

You need to provide proof of:

  • registering for home schooling, or
  • enrolling your child in distance education

You’ll also need to provide proof of your child’s ongoing home education, if you:

  • don’t need to register for home schooling, or
  • are exempt due to your state or territory rules

This proof can include workbooks, examination results or lesson plans.

Family Tax Benefit Part A & Youth Allowance

FTB Part A normally ceases when a child turns 16 at which point, school students are moved to the Youth Allowance (YA). However, Centrelink does not recognise  registration for home education as meeting the eligibility requirements for YA (full time education working towards a recognised qualification). Home ed kids often move into courses at this point. Undertaking any recognised course on a full-time basis will satisfy the YA requirements. It is also possible to meet the “full-time education” requirement by a combination of part-time study with voluntary or paid work – if together they are deemed to equal full-time participation. Consult Centrelink for details.

For parents with kids aged 16-19, the eligibility criteria for FTB Part A includes study requirements that the kids be:

  • in full time secondary study in an approved course leading towards a year 12 or equivalent qualification
  • have an acceptable study load, or
  • have been granted an exemption from us

Some Centrelink staff recognise home education as meeting these study requirements, others don’t.

When your child turns 16, you receive a letter stating that if they are still attending school full time, there is no need to do anything. So the current options for home ed families with kids over 16 are:

  • Continue home educating without the Centrelink payment.
  • (Victorians) Enrol in year 10 or VCE with Distance Ed (you need to have been registered with the VRQA for at least 12 months)
  • Look at other full-time options that meet the YA criteria – TAFE, Open Uni, AYCE programme – see our Older Students section for details.
  • A combination of part-time work/part-time study can qualify as ‘full-time education’. Centrelink will not give a blanket comment on what constitutes suitable study/work experience etc. but volunteering can apparently count as part-time work.
  • Families could apply for FTB A regardless and, when it is rejected, they can appeal the decision where it will be looked at on a case-by-case basis.
  • If the student is also undertakes a certificate or diploma in conjunction with home education, they may be eligible for Youth Allowance or FTB Part A
  • Some families do nothing when they receive the Centrelink ‘turning 16 letter’ on the basis that home ed = school enrolment. Their payment continues unaffected but some have subsequently been asked to repay the monies received.

Family Tax Benefit Part B

Home schooling for children 16 to 19 years of age does not satisfy study requirements for FTB.


Last updated on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *