This information applies to Victoria, for interstate legal information, visit our Legal page
Victorian Home educators are required to register with:
Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA)
Ph: 03 9637 2806
Learning plans do not have to be school-like, they don’t have to follow the curriculum and they don’t have to be age-for-grade.
There are two optional templates available:
- Subject-based learning plan template (Word or PDF)
- Activity-based learning plan template (Word or PDF)
You can use your own format if you prefer, but every plan must cover:
- When education will take place (very generally, not itemised)
- Where education will take place (very generally, not itemised)
- Subject matter to be covered OR the skills/learning activities planned.
- Resources planned (does not have to be exhaustive)
Sample Learning Plans
Learning plans do not need to be voluminous.
The following sample learning plans have been developed by the Victorian Home Education Advisory Committee and are acceptable to the VRQA. They cover different ages and circumstances.
- Jane, aged six – subject-based (Jane docx or Jane PDF)
- Marie, aged seven- activity-based (Montessori) (Marie docx or Marie PDF)
- Josh, aged eight – subject-based (exemption for languages) (Josh docx or Josh PDF)
- Aaron, aged 10 – subject-based (natural learning, Dyslexia) (Aaron docx or Aaron PDF)
- Rose, aged 10 – activity-based (Anxiety) (Rose docx or Rose PDF)
- Geoff, aged 12 – subject-based (poor mental health requiring multiple exemptions) (Geoff docx or Geoff PDF)
- Caleb, aged 13 – activity-based (Asperger’s) (Caleb docx or Caleb PDF)
- Sky, aged 14 – activity-based (Unschooling) (Sky docx or Sky PDF)
- Jessica, aged 15 – activity-based (exemption based on electives) (Jessica docx or Jessica PDF)
- Florance, aged 16 – subject-based (Florance docx or Florance PDF)
The following two extra learning plans for teenagers with no specific issues would be acceptable but have not been pre-approved by the VRQA.
- George, aged 12 – subject-based (George docx or George PDF)
- Amelia, aged 14 (Amelia docx or Amelia PDF)
To register, produce your own learning plan using these as a guide.
Use the samples above and tips below to write your learning plan.
Members can email firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback on their plans before submitting. Include your membership name.
Pitfalls to avoid
When a learning plan contains insufficient information, approval will be delayed until satisfactory information is supplied. These are the main areas which will trigger a request for more information:
Last updated on