- Home-schooling in Queensland almost triples in five years by Felicity Caldwell, Brisbane Times
- Parents turning their backs on mainstream schooling to teach their kids at home ABC
- Unschooling segment on The Project
- Swan Hill’s The Guardian covered HEN’s camp at the pioneer settlement – Made at Home
- ABC Mildura Swan Hill also covered the camp
August 2018: Sunday Mail, Adelaide carried a feature on home education including the issue of two signatures to register in SA
- Unschooling lets kids learn naturally based on what they are interested in, but it can be hard work for parents
By Wiriya Sati ABC Mid North Coast /
- I took my kids back to school after two weeks of homeschooling them By Rachel Brady, The Age (Lifestyle)
- ABC Radio afternoons with Rachelle Hunt – interview with HEN’s Sue Wight and talkback prompted by Rachel Brady’s article above. The home ed discussion begins at the 1 hour mark.
April 2018 saw a wave of articles and segments on the growth in home ed numbers (prompted by Stuart Chapman’s stats) and others unrelated.
- Unhappy parents embrace home schooling in record numbers by Rebecca Urban , The Australian
- Cutting Class – 10 News
- Home Schooling on the Rise – Sunrise
- Sandwich lunches and Homeschooling: How Sally raised nine kids by Rosamund Burton
- Luke Smith is on the road with his nine kids and a mental health message by Sarah Hudson, The Weekly Times
February 2018: A Winning Combination (home ed and paid work) by Tanya Hollis, The Age
January 2018: Home ed segment on ABC Breakfast show with HEN’s Shae Reynolds and HEA’s Lindy
- Why Do Parents Homeschool? Child Magazine
- What’s driving the rise in home schooling? by James Reid, The Educator
- Homeschooling rising fastest among students with special needs as parents look for new directions by Sarina Locke ABC Rural Online and associated Radio segment on ABC AM Home schooling growing fast for students with special needs. ABC Hobart followed by interviewing Linda Carlos from HEA Tas (home ed segment begins around the 1:20 mark)
- Meet the family who don’t go to school – Sunrise and follow up discussion
- Homeschooling in Shepparton on WIN News
- Children are eager to learn by Tara Whitsed, Shepparton News
- Home schooling and ‘un-schooling’ on the rise and the results look promising on The Feed
- Compass: School’s Out ran a segment on home education involving three families using a variety of methods.
2016-2017: A wave of home ed articles were generated by HEN over this period as part of our campaign for reasonable regulatory requirements in Victoria
- Unschooling education: How building a house changed Daylesford teen Zephyr The Age
- Homeschooling on the Rise, The Morning Show interview with HEA vice-president Carly Landa
August 2016: Homeschooling: the pitfalls and benefits Women’s Weekly
January 2016: School’s Out – Cosima Marriner, Daily Life
- More families pick homeschooling – channel 9 news
- Home-schooling sees large increase in Victoria – Henrietta Cook, The Age
March 2015: Live and Learn Great unschooling article in the Sunday Style magazine. Carleen Sing told her story to Beverley Hadgraft
Jan 2015: Blackmarket Homeschooling Runs Rampant in Victoria, The Weekly Times – claims unregistered home education is ‘rampant’ in Victoria. This type of article groan-worthy and the figures it quotes are pure guesswork with nothing we’ve seen supporting them. Unregistered home education is less common in Victoria than other states.
January 2014: Home-schooling on the rise – Konrad Marshall, The Age
March 2013: More Families Choosing to Learn at Home (The Age March 25), by Wendy Morriss
May 2011: Asperger’s high-tech school The Lab opens in Footscray (Radio National 13 May) Featuring home ed family.
June 2010: Radio National: Australia Talks (June 1) “Home schooling is catching on, with student numbers steadily increasing in the past years. It’s a conscious decision by many city-based families. So why are more parents turning their back on the traditional education system? And is home schooling a valid alternative to schools?”
- Amelia Maps Bright Future (Bendigo Advertiser 27 May) A home ed student, 11 year old Amelia Rowe topped Victoria in the National Geographic Competition – the youngest to ever do so.
- When it Comes to Schooling, There’s No Place Like Home (The Age 13 May)
- Domestic Blitz (The Age May 2) article on mums staying at home which mentions home education.
February 2010: School’s out when home is the classroom (The Age Feb 14)
August 2009 No place like home for home-schooled Hunter kids (Newcastle Herald, Aug 23)
June 2009 Leunig: ‘Everything I believed has come true – their eagerness to learn is intact’ (By Ainslie MacGibbon The Age)
April 2008 Love’s Harvest.HEN family, the Scotts featured in one of the Love’s Harvest documentaries
July 2007: Country Viewpoint with Stephanie Pollock
June 2007 School’s Out and Home’s In Says Educational Rebel (The Age June 5) John Taylor Gatto visiting Australia
June 2006: Homeschooling and Teenagers (Life Matters, Radio National 26 July)
May 2006: Enough Rope Celebrated cartoonist and journalist, Michael Leunig, interviewed by Andrew Denton’s talks about home educating his children.
1996 Children educated at home don’t learn like they do in school – Alan Thomas on Ockam’s RazorLast updated on